Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday morning in my new home....Amsterdam!

So I've been in Amsterdam a little over a month and everyone is complaining that I haven't posted up pictures and I'm telling the same stories over and over so I'm thinking (as much as I hate to do this) that I should start a blog to keep everyone as updated as possible!  Especially now that I'm in the complete opposite time zone from so many of my friends and family.  Plus my birthday was Friday so I guess now is a good time to start....new year, new age and all that.  Speaking of opposite time zones, if any of you have Skype... add me so we can keep up!  Oh, and here's a google map of Amsterdam with some of my spots pointed out in case you are interested.

My friends Craig and Dave just got back from Philly so I'm all done housesitting for them and I'll be heading back to my apartment soon.  I have a few more weeks in the company apartment that Guerrilla provided, and then I'll come back here to stay and start looking for my own place.  I'm trying to decide if I can take the cooler temperatures living further away from work before I choose an area of the city to live in.  Right now I'm staying in a small studio in the center of the city on the edge of the Jordaan district which is an arty, fun place to be.  Here's the view from the window overlooking the canals:

The canals have lots of party boats cruising by so I get to hear lots of crazy music and celebrating people.  It's nice being right in the middle of it all!  Now I'm staying over at Craig's which is a little further out but it's quiet and nice here.  Right now I'm listening to rain and when it lets up a little, I hear church bells.  It's a pretty different vibe here....

This is Craig's backyard garden.... it was a bright sunny morning and then it started to drizzle a bit.  I got to grab a few cherry tomatoes from the garden to toss in with my egg this morning.  Delicious!  I ate it with fruit that I picked up from this fruit stand where the little elderly lady who runs it speaks very little English and helps me practice my Dutch :)  I picked up some aardbeien, kerzen, and bramen.... lekker!

I'm getting there.. I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment